WAAY 31 learned more information on Wednesday about the Madison County doctor whose clinic was raided by federal agents.
On Tuesday, drug enforcement agents carried boxes of evidence out of Choice Medicine in Toney. Doctor Celia Lloyd-Turney is currently under restrictions by the state medical board for prescribing pills, in excess, to patients. Two families have filed wrongful death lawsuits against her as well.
Credit: Celia Lloyd- Turney, M.D. Facebook page
The clinic was open for part of the day Wednesday, but it closed around lunch time and never reopened. The Drug Enforcement Administration confirmed federal agents raided Lloyd-Turney's clinic on Tuesday.
One man WAAY 31 spoke to didn't want to go on camera, but he said he's never seen the lot so empty. Lloyd-Turney came outside the clinic Wednesday afternoon and said she was closed for the remainder of the day. She said she couldn't speak about what happened on Tuesday.
Lloyd-Turney said she wasn't at the clinic when federal authorities arrived, and she didn't know what they took with them. She's currently on a 2-year restriction, in effect until September of 2019.
The state medical board said Lloyd-Turney prescribed opioids in excess and dispensed them for no legitimate medical purpose, among other violations. Right now, she can only prescribe limited amounts of drugs at a time and was forced to surrender her pain management registration.
Wrongful death lawsuits were filed against Lloyd-Turney, and family members of two former patients state their loved ones died from mixed drug toxicity. One of the lawsuits claims she prescribed nearly 600 opioid pills to a victim in the two and a half months leading up to her death.
Federal authorities said in the next 10 days, more information should be released about the investigation. As for Lloyd-Turney's legal battles, one of her wrongful death lawsuits is scheduled for jury trial in October. She's expected to be in court in March on the other wrongful death case.
- Doctor and medical clinic in Toney under federal investigation
- Patients of Toney doctor, medical clinic under federal investigation say they're stunned
- Federal drug enforcement agents search medical clinic in Toney
- Former clinic of Toney doctor facing federal charges under 'new management'
- Feds charge Huntsville, Toney, Hoover doctors in opioid scheme
- Overnight fire destroys Toney home
- Investigators: Juvenile killed man and critically hurt child in Toney
- Two charged with murder of Toney teenager
- Toney road reopens after afternoon wreck
- Suspect caught after search in Toney