GADSDEN, Ala. (AP) - Authorities say an Alabama woman is charged with drugging a 5-year-old boy before dropping him off at school.
The Etowah County Sheriff's Department says 41-year-old Margaret Ann Elchin of Boaz was arrested on a felony charge of aggravated child abuse.
Officials say the woman gave the child a pill that caused him to lose consciousness at times and have slurred speech. They say school workers noticed something was wrong and contacted authorities.
The child was treated at a hospital, and Elchin is free on bond.
Court records show Elchin didn't yet have a lawyer to speak on her behalf Friday, and authorities didn't disclose the relationship between the woman and the child.
Officials also didn't say what kind of drug the child allegedly received.
(Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
3/16/2018 11:25:21 AM (GMT -5:00)
- Women charges with drugging child before school
- Two arrested on drug charges
- Red Bay School assistant charged with child sex crimes
- Brewer High School senior charged with selling drugs
- Police: Man charged with sex abuse used drugs on child's body
- I-Team: Mother of child hit and killed by pickup truck indicted on drug charges
- Parents charged with child abuse in investigation into child's death
- Florence man charged with child abuse
- Albertville couple charged with abusing small child
- Madison counselor arrested on child pornography charges