BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) - A federal judge has sentenced a Missouri woman to 19 years in prison after what prosecutors called a four-state state crime spree that ended when her boyfriend was killed in a shoot-out with police.
U.S. District Judge Madeline Hughes Haikala sentenced 32-year-old Brittany Nicole Harper of Joplin, Missouri, on Tuesday. Harper pleaded guilty to carjacking, transporting a stolen vehicle across state lines, conspiracy and brandishing a gun.
Authorities say Harper was involved in a 10-day crime spree that began in Missouri and went through Alabama and Georgia before ending in Florida. Prosecutors said she and her partner stole cars, burglarized a home and kidnapped two people during carjackings.
The crimes ended Feb. 5, 2016, when Harper's boyfriend, Blake Fitzgerald, was killed during a shootout with police in Milton, Florida.
(Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
5/15/2018 3:59:22 PM (GMT -5:00)
- Woman sentenced to 19 years for multi-state crime spree
- Alabama teens accused of crime spree involving kidnap, rape
- Gurley Police Department finds suspects in crime spree
- Jackson County sheriff says arrest made in multi-city armed robbery spree
- Huntsville police: 4 arrests, $100,000 of stolen items found in suspected multi-state crime ring
- Man sentenced to 45 years for cutting off woman's nipples
- Multi-state salmonella outbreak tied to chicken salad
- Manafort sentenced to 7.5 years total in prison for federal crimes
- Multi-vehicle wreck shuts down Highway 20
- Woman sentenced for deadly 2017 wreck