Huntsville Police have charged a man with domestic violence after they said he shot his wife in a fight Thursday night.
Around 10:30 p.m., police said Algernon Hampton, 47, was arguing with his wife at a home in the 600 block of Kennan Drive.
According to a police report, the argument became physical and Hampton began choking his wife, who managed to pick up a knife and cut him on the arm.
Hampton went into a bedroom, got a pistol and shot his wife in the leg, police said.
Officers said they took Hampton into custody without incident when they arrived.
The woman was rushed to Huntsville Hospital, where she was treated and later released.
Huntsville Police proceeded to tape off the house and blocked the road for more than an hour while they investigated.
Hampton was charged with second-degree domestic violence. His bond had not been set as of midday Friday, according to jail records.
- UPDATE: Man charged with shooting wife in domestic dispute
- Florence man charged with domestic violence, kidnapping
- HPD: drive-by shooting and tire slashing connected to domestic dispute
- Man arrested for Domestic Violence
- Huntsville police: Man stabbed, then charged with domestic violence
- Florence police charge man in burglary, domestic violence
- Hartselle police: Man charged with domestic violence for choking victim
- Police: Madison shooting was domestic-related
- Man charged in Albertville shooting
- Police: Tennessee man accidentally shoots himself, wife at church