BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) - An Alabama woman says her daughter has been disciplined after asking another girl to attend the high school prom.
Jeanise Ross-Walton told The Associated Press on Thursday that her 17-year-old daughter Janizia Ross was given an in-school suspension following the proposal.
The woman says her daughter asked out another girl on stage during a talent show at Alexandria High School, located in eastern Alabama. She says a student acting as the master of ceremonies also was disciplined.
Ross-Walton says she believes her daughter is being singled out because it was a same-sex proposal.
A statement from the Calhoun County School District says reports about the incident may have created a "misimpression" about what happened. It says an investigation showed officials "fully honored" a commitment to equal educational opportunities for everyone.
(Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Woman: Daughter disciplined after same-sex prom invitation
- Same-sex couple cleared to attend Alabama prom
- Shoals mom prom happening Saturday
- Woman stabbed 11-year-old daughter to keep her from having sex, affidavit says
- Woman found guilty in daughter's starvation death
- A Texas judge is disciplined for telling a jury that God wanted them to acquit a sex trafficking defendant
- Birmingham first-graders disciplined for having butter knife at school
- Jeremy Pruitt disciplined for shouting out his Alma Mater
- Special Reese's Senior Bowl invitation
- Pregnant woman killed, daughter injured in Alabama crash