Area roadways are being prepared for the forecast snow well ahead of its anticipated arrival.
* Captain Frank McKenzie with Huntsville Fire & Rescue says if there is a vehicle off the roadway, citizens are asked to take notice and check if there is any yellow tape around the vehicle. If so, it signifies the vehicle has been checked and cleared by an emergency agency.
* Huntsville Public Works will be sending out salt trucks to pre-treat roads. They say the salt is not damaging to car tires. However, they encourage people not to be on the roads if possible.
* The city of Florence's Street Department has loaded its salt/sand trucks. The department has new machines to disperse a salt/sand mix in hard-to-reach areas.
* Huntsville Police Department is assisting Public Works pre-staging barricades along Memorial Parkway and other areas in the event roadway conditions deteriorate overnight.
* Limestone County Emergency Management Agency says trucks have been stocked with sand and salt and are ready to go when needed. Trouble spots are going to be bridges, hills and shaded areas.
* The Alabama Department of Transportation began pretreating roads on Sunday and will continue Monday. After pretreatment operations conclude in late afternoon or early evening, some treatment of high-risk areas with granular salt may take place Monday night during the period of rain expected to precede snow. After midnight, crews will remain on standby, prepared to begin clearing roads as needed with truck-mounted snow plows and salt spreaders.
* Madison City Public Works will be working in 12-hour shifts and overnight. Crews will begin treating roads with a gravel/sand mix once rain passes Monday night.
Check back with WAAY 31 on air and online for updates as we get them.
- Winter Storm Warning: North Alabama road conditions
- Winter Storm Warning issued for north Alabama
- Winter Storm Watch issued for north Alabama
- LIVE BLOG: Snow and road conditions across north Alabama
- Winter Storm Warning: Driving tips from Alabama Law Enforcement Agency
- Roads flooding in North Alabama
- North Alabama drivers brace for roads during winter weather advisory
- Flooding conditions reported on North Alabama roadways
- Wednesday morning road conditions
- Winter Storm Warning: Home, car weather preparations