The wind chill Tuesday night and Monday isn't just uncomfortable.
It can actually be dangerous.
HEMSI told WAAY 31 it only takes ten minutes for someone with exposed skin to get frostbite in these kind of temperatures.
"It progresses very rapidly. Unfortunately, because you lose feeling in your extremities it can get very bad very quickly and the person not realize it," said HEMSI Shift Supervisor Alison Boylen.
Wearing layers, gloves, and a hat will keep frostbite from setting in as fast.
There are a couple of signs of frostbite that are easy to spot.
Your finger tips will start to turn white, and so will the tip of your nose.
HEMSI suggests immediately wrapping any of those extremities in blankets, or using lukewarm water to warm them up.
If it's really bad call 911, or go to the emergency room.
- Wind chill can make temperatures dangerously cold
- Cold wind chills with a mostly sunny sky
- Bama's big chill
- Chill lingers through Saturday
- Cold Front Brings Showers Friday, But Not Much Chill
- Flurries Tonight Along With Wind & Cold
- Another day of arctic chill
- Dangerous severe storms bring risk for tornadoes & damaging wind tonight
- Blackout Wednesday makes roads dangerous for motorists
- Drinking alcohol in the cold weather could be dangerous