While some Alabamians certainly love their bulldogs, the most popular dog breed in the state is actually the Labrador Retriever.
According to the American Kennel Club's annual list of most popular dog breeds, the Lab is the most popular purebred dog in Alabama for 2017. The same goes for the most popular dog in neighboring Mississippi.
Labs also remain the country’s most popular purebred dog for a 27th year, according to the rankings released Wednesday.
The AKC says the lab took over the top spot from the Cocker Spaniel in 1991, and has been No. 1 ever since.
German Shepherds, Golden Retrievers, French Bulldogs, and Bulldogs rounded out the rest of the top five.
In other cities, however, the lab isn’t most popular. The French Bulldog is the favorite in Los Angeles, New York City, San Francisco, and West Palm Beach.
- What's the most popular breed in Alabama?
- Labrador retriever most popular US dog breed for 28th year
- World's most popular theme parks
- Florence starts work on popular kayak site
- Sanofi recalls popular heartburn medication Zantac OTC
- FDA takes action against popular vaping brand
- Bitcoin's going up in value as its popularity rises
- Governor Kay Ivey ranked third most popular governor
- Popular downtown bar and business closed due to fire
- FBI warns parents to be aware of popular apps