School started in Morgan County but for some Pre-K students and their parents, the start of school is a waiting game. 53 students are on a wait list.
The Morgan County Pre-K Director Martine Fairbanks said they've added 5 Pre-K classes in the school district this school year.
There's been an increase of students on the waiting list because more parents are aware about the program.
"He comes home excited everyday and tells me what he's learned and goes over his letters and he's learned a few songs," said Bonnie Ozbolt.
Bonnie Ozbolt's son just started Pre-K at Priceville Elementary school this year. She's glad he was one of the 60 students randomly selected before the school year started.
"We just wanted to give Brady a little jump start on his education. In Pre-K, they have so many opportunities and it's a wonderful program," Ozbolt said.
Priceville Elementary School's principal Tanya McCain said parents are calling non-stop and the district added more classes.
"We were able to fill another class. We're thrilled to have that 4th unit coming the first week of September," Principal Tanya McCain said.
The other new Pre-K class is at Union Hill Elementary school. Each class holds up to 18 students.
Martine told WAAY 31 parents are still registering their child for the pre-k program. Both women agree Pre-K is vital for students to succeed when they start kindergarten.
"They're incredibly supportive and eager for their children to be in an environment where they can learn social and emotional skills and really prepare them on how to learn. So when they get to kindergarten, they're ready for academics," McCain said.
Your child must be at least 4-years-old to register for Pre-K. The new classes start the day after Labor Day.
- Waiting list for Morgan Co. Pre-K program
- Morgan Co. sheriff's office reviewing trustee program
- Alabama Pre-K considered best state-funded program in country
- Muscle Shoals' pre-game routine
- Morgan County program helps people recovering from addiction
- Winter won't wait its turn
- Morgan County Sheriff’s Office: 1 in custody in ‘hit list’ probe at Brewer High School
- List of road closures
- Morgan County deputies wreck update
- Morgan County honors fallen officers