John Lancaster lives just down the road from the house Steven Brooks, 45, was in on Loganberry Lane in Harvest.
US Marshalls had tracked Brooks from Pinellas County, Florida, where there was a warrant out for his arrest for murder, to the house in Harvest.
When brooks decided to get in the car and speed away, out of the neighborhood, Lancaster saw the whole thing.
"Heard the engine coming and heard a lot of people yelling 'get out of the way, get out of the way. It did sound similar to gunshots and as he came past my house I noticed the front tire was already flat and the rim was throwing some sparks on the driver side, so that made up for the sound we thought was gunshots," said Lancaster.
Surveillance video from a neighbor showed Brooks cutting through a yard and quickly followed by law enforcement.
Despite the intensity of the situation, Lancaster felt safe, because of the amount of law enforcement and first responders in the area.
"There was enough presence we were never worried about what was happening. My family was never worried about anything for our safety," said Lancaster.
This standoff was completely out of the norm for the neighborhood.
"It's quiet and it's friendly and everybody kinda looks out for each other," said Lancaster.
With brooks still on the loose, Lancaster will be making sure his family is taking extra precautions.
"Keeping your cars locked, keeping your garage shut, keeping your back gate shut up. That kind of stuff. Making sure your doors are locked. Just being aware and just continuing to look out for one another in the neighborhood," said Lancaster.
Law enforcement is still patrolling the area where Brooks was last seen.
Brooks is 5'8" and was last seen wearing black pants and a black over brown shirt.
If spotted, law enforcement asks you to not approach him, but instead alert the Madison County Sheriff's Office at 256-722-7181.
- WATCH: Manhunt suspect evades police in neighborhood
- Nationwide manhunt underway for Ohio rape suspects
- Georgia murder suspect in custody after manhunt
- Kroger robbery suspect captured in Hartselle manhunt
- Manhunt underway in Tennessee
- Decatur police want neighborhood watch on social media
- Madison Police Department wants more neighborhood watch teams
- Boaz manhunt suspect found asleep in lake house
- Morgan County Sheriff: Railroad crossing evader arrested after headbutting car, fighting deputy
- Manhunt in 3rd day for Tennessee suspect on most wanted list