UPDATE: Steve Savarese, AHSAA Executive Director, said he wants people to keep wearing masks so they can fill gyms again. He also said he wants all students to be able to return to the field.
Savarese said he is happy they have the opportunity to play, and students can play “at will” and will have no penalty if they do not want to play. He said 89% of football teams plan to play this week, 96% plan to participate by regionals and volleyball, swimming and cross country have almost 100% participation.
Stay with WAAY 31 for more information online and in WAAY 31 News at 4.
The Alabama High School Athletic Association (AHSAA) is hosting a news conference on Tuesday at 11 a.m.
We expect to hear from the association's executive director, along with head coaches from schools playing in the AHSAA Kickoff Classic matchups.
The association released its “best practices” for fall sports in late July. You can find these here.
The following individuals are scheduled to speak during the news conference:
· Steve Savarese, AHSAA Executive Director
· Jamie Lee, AHSADCA Director (host of the games)
· Kay McCreery, representing the City of Montgomery
· Jon Holder, host of AHSAA TV Weekly television show which airs each Wednesday over WOTM TV and the AHSAA TV Network
· Carver-Montgomery Volleyball Coach Virginia Franklin
· Tallassee Cross Country Coach Danny Worley
· Pike Road Head Football Coach Patrick Browning
· Montgomery Catholic Head Football Coach Aubrey Blackwell
· Wetumpka Head Football Coach Tim Perry
· Prattville Head Football Coach Caleb Ross