Photo Gallery 11 Images
WAAY 31 was honored on Tuesday in Montgomery for our work on the Jimmy Spencer case that pointed out serious flaws in the Alabama parole system.
The Victims of Crime and Leniency group (VOCAL) presented Breken Terry and WAAY 31 with the "Voices for Victims Media Award." Gov. Kay Ivey and Attorney General Steve Marshall were also honored.
More Coverage You Can Count On:
- I-Team: Judge grants defense's motion to delay hearing in Jimmy Spencer case
- I-Team: Motion filed to continue Jimmy Spencer's psychiatric evaluation hearing
- WAAY 31 I-Team Investigation: Proposed bill would let some convicted killers out sooner
- WAAY 31 I-Team: Parole Board releases February progress report
- I-Team: Motion granted to continue Jimmy Spencer's psychiatric evaluation hearing
- I-Team: Alabama Parole Board releases update on corrective plan
- I-Team: Gov. Ivey, attorney general respond to parole board action plan
- WAAY 31 I-Team Investigation: Spencer had long history of negative conduct prior to release
- I-Team: Parole board policies and procedures come under fire in wake of Jimmy Spencer case
This week is National Crime Victims' Rights Week. You'll see crosses up at various courthouses marking the number of people murdered in the state of Alabama.
- WAAY 31 honored by victims advocacy group for Jimmy Spencer investigation
- WAAY 31 I-Team Investigation: Alabama Parole Board reviewing Jimmy Spencer's case
- WAAY 31 I-Team Investigation: Jimmy Spencer in contact with parole officer after leaving facility
- WAAY 31 I-Team Investigation: Jimmy Spencer's parole officer 'exceeded standards' in most recent personnel review
- WAAY 31 I-Team Investigation: Jimmy Spencer showed little rehabilitation before being paroled
- WAAY 31 I-Team Investigation: Victim of Jimmy Spencer wonders how he could have been set free
- WAAY 31 I-TEAM: Documents say Jimmy Spencer's parole officer continues to 'exceed standards'
- WAAY 31 I-TEAM: Former warden talks about accused triple-killer Jimmy Spencer
- WAAY 31 I-TEAM: Alabama to pay $1 million to families of Jimmy Spencer murder case victims
- WAAY 31 I-Team: "I want justice for all of them:” Family of victims attend first Jimmy Spencer court hearing