KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - Police say a yacht caught fire near Neyland Stadium ahead of a Tennessee home football game.
Media report the boat was part of the "Vol Navy," a group of boaters who gather in the Tennessee River near the stadium for home football games.
Knoxville Fire Department officials said the vessel "Chances R" caught fire at 6:30 a.m. Saturday, several hours before the game. Five people and one dog were on board. Officials say none of them were hurt.
Knoxville Assistant Chief Mark Wilbanks says the owners of the yacht ran the generator all night and smelled smoke in the morning. They saw flames coming from a hatch where the generator was located.
Fire officials believe the generator was the cause of the fire.
Later in the day, Tennessee lost to Georgia 38 to 30.
- 'Vol Navy' boat catches fire hours before UT loses game
- Harper Vol For Life
- New Hope Navy veteran recovering after losing home in fire
- Vols' Lamonte Turner undergoes another shoulder surgery
- Lady Vols sign player from Australia
- Lawrenceburg UT boxer dies during tournament
- 'Voice of the Vols' John Ward dies at 88
- Vols hire Kim English as assistant men's basketball coach
- Vols ready for second year under Jeremy Pruitt
- Tennessee hoping Harper can return Lady Vols to prominence