Registered sex offender James Harold Bingham is now free on bond after he was arrested for working to close to children, according to the Limestone County Sheriff's Office. Bingham posted a $15,000 bond over the weekend.
According to officials, the 61-year-old was caught running a kids' bounce house.
“That’s just God’s gift to us right there, man. I can’t explain that emotion to you. It’s just beautiful," said Brian Thomas. That’s how Thomas explained what it's like being a dad. Thomas has four children and says he’s horrified to hear what’s happened in his community. Registered sex offender, James Bingham, was caught operating a children’s bounce house. "Just disgusting," Thomas said.
Bingham, who lives in Madison County, was originally charged with second-degree sex abuse in 2009 after an incident involving an 11-year-old girl in Limestone County. "You never fathom something like that, really. It’s not natural," Thomas said. "That’s so sick. God, that’s sick.” Thomas says the fact Bingham was able to get a job working around kids has him concerned about his own children’s safety. "Like when she’s at her friend’s house and they’re doing that. Yeah, you worry. I’m definitely going to worry," he said. And he’s not the only parent shocked by the news. "The people that hired him, they should’ve done a better background check," said Ana Thornton.
Some parents told WAAY 31 they believe crimes against children should come with harsher punishments. "Something’s got to be done. They get out and go get a bounce house or become a boy scout leader or hang around the darn parks. They don’t care, they’re just going to get back out of jail. You’ve got to put the hammer down.”
WAAY 31 reached out to a few different bounce house rental businesses in Limestone County to see if they’d talk to us about how they go about hiring people and the kind of background checks that are required, but we haven’t heard back from them yet.
- Update: Registered sex offender free on bond after Limestone County arrest
- Limestone County investigators arrest sex offender for failing to register with law enforcement
- Guntersville sex offender charged for not registering
- Registered sex offender charged with beating girlfriend
- Athens police arrest sex offender who failed to register
- Albertville police arrest sex offender
- Decatur police charge registered sex offender with rape, incest
- Decatur police arrest sex offender for failing to register with local law enforcement
- Decatur police arrest sex offender for failing to register, working near child care facility
- Sex offender back in jail