Photo Gallery 1 Images
The Lauderdale County Drug Task Force, Florence police, and agents with the FBI's street safe force spent Friday morning rounding up dozens of people for distributing drugs in Lauderdale County.
Officials said they had warrants on 67 people for distributing drugs, so far they have 38 of those people in custody. They have also seized dozens of guns and about 30 cars during the round up.
The suspects were arrested at their homes and various places then booked into the Lauderdale County Detention Center. Officials said the arrests come after a 13 month undercover operation to take down people who are dealing drugs.
"During that 13 months we bought everything from synthetic marijuana, prescription controlled substances, ICE, methamphetamine, crack cocaine and heroin," said Lauderdale County Drug Task Force Director, Tim Glover.
Glover said over 4,000 agent hours went into operation 'Press on', which targeted drug dealers throughout the Shoals.
"We think were a lot more effective when we can put groups out of business as opposed to one person here, or two people there. We have changed our strategy to try and target organized groups," said Glover.
Glover said they had informants within the various circles of suspects then agents went undercover to buy the drugs from the suspects. In total Glover said they had over 250 buys of illegal narcotics.
Mike Smith lives in Lauderdale County and he said every day he hears of drugs destroying families. He's officers are cracking down.
"Get them off the streets," said Smith. "They're doing irreparable damage to young people and old people. You'd probably be surprised at who they catch."
By Friday afternoon, Glover said they still had a few suspects to pick up. He has a clear message for anyone who tries to sell drugs in Lauderdale County.
"If you think it's okay to sell drugs in Lauderdale County you will be in a facility like this in the near future," said Glover, as he stood outside of the Lauderdale County Detention Center.
Some of the individuals who were arrested have made bond, but many of them still remain behind bars at the Lauderdale County Detention Center.
We are working with officials to get a list of names and mugshots of all of the people arrested in this drug round up.
- Undercover drug sting nabs dozens in the Shoals
- Dozens of Marshall County drug cases dismissed
- Guntersville store owner helps police nab escapees
- Police: OnStar technology helps nab a suspect
- Florence police nab Walmart burglary suspect
- Man arrested in undercover operation into Madison County-based drug trafficking organization
- Six men arrested in Huntsville prostitution sting
- Shoals family among dozens from north Alabama helping in the panhandle
- PHOTOS: Dozens arrested in multi-agency drug round up
- 22 indicted in Nashville-area undercover human trafficking operation