BC-AS--Trump-North Korea-The Latest
The Latest: Pompeo in North Korea for pre-summit meetings
PYONGYANG, North Korea (AP) - The Latest on U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo's trip to North Korea (all times local):
U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has arrived in North Korea for meetings ahead of President Donald Trump's planned summit with Kim Jong Un.
Pompeo landed Wednesday morning Pyongyang time and was greeted by North Korean officials. He waited at a hotel before meetings were to begin.
It's Pompeo's second known visit to the country. Trump revealed last month that Pompeo met with Kim over Easter weekend.
Trump has said the time and date of his planned meeting with Kim have now been agreed to, but he has yet to reveal where or when it will happen.
President Donald Trump says U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo is en route to North Korea ahead of Trump's planned meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.
Trump said Tuesday afternoon in Washington that Pompeo will be arriving in the country shortly and has meetings scheduled.
It will be Pompeo's second known visit to the country. Trump revealed last month that Pompeo met with Kim over Easter weekend.
Trump says the time and date of his planned meeting with Kim have now been agreed to, but he has yet to reveal where or when it will happen.
Trump broke the news while announcing his plans to withdraw from the Iran nuclear agreement.
(Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
5/8/2018 7:14:42 PM (GMT -5:00)
- US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo arrives in Pyongyang for meetings with North Korean officials.
- Senate confirms Pompeo as secretary of state
- President Donald Trump arrives in Vietnam for North Korean summit
- US sanctions 3 North Korean officials for human rights abuse
- North Korean leader's trip to China confirmed
- North Korean negotiator headed to Washington
- North Korean leader willing to denuclearize
- South and North Korean negotiators meet at DMZ for first time since 2015
- Trump says he's ready to meet again with North Korean leader