Tony Pujol is not wasting any time giving his newly minted NCAA Division I North Alabama squad a big test.
The first year head coach will lead his men's basketball team up to Spokane, Wash. on December 28, 2018 to face pre-season Top 10 Gonzaga at the McCarthey Athletic Center.
The Zags went 32-5 last season, including a run to the Sweet 16 for the program's fourth straight year. Furthermore, Gonzaga has played in the NCAA Tournamanet every season since 1999 and has been ranked in every Associated Press final poll since the 2008-09 season.
Need another reason why this will be the ultimate test for UNA as they test the waters of NCAA Division I competition? How about the fact that Gonzaga has one of the best home court advantages in the game, boasting a 192-15 record at the McCarthey Athletic Center since it opened in 2004.
Clearly Pujol, who came to UNA after stops as an assistant coach at the likes of Wyoming and Alabama, wants to set the tone for his program early as they build the foundation for their growth at the next level.
- UNA men's basketball to face Gonzaga in 2018
- UNA basketball players receive top honors
- A Sister Act for UNA Basketball
- Gonzaga becomes season’s 6th team to hit No. 1 in AP Top 25
- Alabama Men's Basketball falls to Georgia State
- Alabama A&M hires new men's basketball coach
- Florence men facing felony meth, heroin charges
- Tennessee Basketball to face Washington in Toronto
- Ivy Wallen UNA Women's Basketball all-time leading scorer
- UNA Signing Day Recap