Two local mainstays in the NCAA Softball Tournament are in on the postseason action once again.
After claiming a share of the Gulf South Conference Softball Tournament Championship, the North Alabama Lions earned the No. 2 seed and will host No. 7 West Florida in the South 2 Regional on Thursday at 5:30 p.m.
"We are so excited about the opportunity to host a regional tournament at our field again," UNA head softball coach Ashley Cozart said. "Being able to play in front of our fans and community is huge for us. Our team has worked hard all year long for this and we are excited for a great weekend of softball. This will be our last chance in Division II to experience this and we are focused on 'leaving our mark' one last time. "
Monday's selection for North Alabama marks the program's sixth straight appearance in the NCAA Tournament.
UNA's chief rival, the UAH Chargers, saw that sixth straight tournament appearance and raised the Lions ten, earning their 16th straight NCAA Tournament berth.
Thanks to a 35-15 season and a third place finish in the GSC, the Chargers earned the at-large bid as a No. 4 seed and will face No. 5 Valdosta State on Thursday at 2:30 p.m. in West Palm Beach, Florida in the first round of the South 1 Regional.
— UAH Chargers (@UAHChargers) May 7, 2018
The winner of the SR2 tournament will advance to the South Super Regional the following weekend for a best-of-three series with the winner of the SR1 tournamanet which will be held at the campus of the top-seed, Palm Beach Atlantic.
- UNA, UAH heading to NCAA Softball Tournament
- UNA, UAH set for GSC Softball Tournament
- UAH Softball earns 17th straight DII NCAA Tournament berth
- Alabama softball earns 8th seed in NCAA Tournament
- UNA, UAH prepare to put rivalry in the books
- UAH president retiring
- UAH climatologists receive grant
- UAH Men's Basketball talk heading to the DII Tourney
- UAH wheelchair basketball team heads off to Nationals
- UAH head basketball coach leaving Huntsville for Lipscomb University