Two women who recorded themselves running over and killing a snapping turtle in Scottsboro were cited.
Dakota O'Rear, and Cortney Hobbs are charged with Prohibited Methods and Devices of Hunting, said Alabama Fish and Wildlife Service.
The women said they came across the turtle in the middle of the road before they started filming.
"I love turtles. That's why we were getting out and trying to save it, but once it started snappin' at me I was like, oh my god, just forget it. Run it over. Let's go," said the women who ran over the turtle.
They women said this situation has lead to death threats for the both of them.
"People saying they're going to kill my family, that I need to kill myself. That they're going to burn my house on fire," said the women.
Officials told us a court date has been set late this month but if the fine is paid in full they will not have to appear in court.
This article has been corrected to clarify that the two women were not taken into custody and formally arrested but were cited for the charge.
- Two women cited after running over turtle
- Two people tape themselves running over turtle
- NSA deletes phone records, citing 'technical irregularities'
- Alabama cancels oyster season citing shortage
- Trump puts off Pelosi travel, citing shutdown
- Junior high teacher accused of feeding puppy to turtle
- Injured turtle gets around on Lego wheelchair while healing
- Trump cancels North Korean summit, citing 'tremendous anger'
- Mother cited after toddler overdoses on pot candy
- School blocks Chick-fil-A as dining option, cites values