Photo Gallery 3 Images
UPDATE: Jacob Burnett was recaptured around 7:30 p.m. Saturday, October 27 by Walker County sheriff’s deputies, who had responded to a vehicle break-in near Nauvoo. He was taken to the Walker County Jail.
One of the two inmates, Stephen Araujo, was recaptured Wednesday, October 24 at 2:30 p.m. in Marshall County by the Boaz Police Department. A tip brought officers to an apartment complex, where they apprehended Araujo without incident. Jacob Burnett remains at large.
According to the Department of Corrections, two inmates escaped from a Childersburg work release center Tuesday in Talladega County.
Mark Araujo and Jacob Burnett escaped around 7:30 p.m. The two men are both 39-years-old. Araujo is 6 feet tall with brown hair and blue eyes. He weighs 180 pounds. Burnett is 5 feet 9 inches tall with red hair and green eyes. He weighs 190 pounds. They were both last seen wearing dark shirts and brown pants.
Video from a gas station in Calera on U.S. Highway 31 shows the men in a stolen white utility truck and making a purchase Tuesday evening.
The Department of Corrections is working in connection with law enforcement, including the U.S. Marshals Service, to find the inmates. Araujo is serving a 15-year sentence for a 1st degree theft of property conviction in 2016. Burnett is serving an 18-month sentence for a 3rd degree burglary conviction in July.
Araujo's parole hearing would have been in September 2019 and Burnett would have been released in December 2019. They will now both face additional charges for the escape.
The public is warned to not interact with the inmates, but instead to call local law enforcement or the Alabama Department of Corrections at 1-800-831-8825 should they have any information regarding their location.
- Tuscumbia escaped inmate recaptured
- Escaped inmate recaptured
- Second of two escaped inmates recaptured in Walker County
- Escaped inmate recaptured in Huntsville
- Escaped inmate in Madison County recaptured
- Work release inmate recaptured, faces escape charge
- UPDATE: Escaped inmate from Montgomery recaptured
- Police recapture escaped Franklin Co. inmate
- UPDATE: Inmates recaptured hours after Marion County Jail escape
- Escaped Lauderdale County convict recaptured in Kentucky