The Cullman County Sheriff's Office is investigating after two small children were found dead in a home on County Road 1718 in the Baileyton community.
Deputies got a 911 call around 2:30 on Saturday. When they arrived at the home, they found the two children dead and secured the perimeter.
Following a short search, investigators found a suspect, who was later determined to be the children's mother, according to Cullman County Sheriff Matt Gentry. She was arrested and flown to a hospital by AIR EVAC.
"We don't know what caused this tragic accident, but what I can tell you is that evil was involved," said Sheriff Gentry. "Anytime a person would do this to children, there's only one word and that is 'evil.'"
The Cullman County Sheriff's Office said there is no danger to the public and will be providing more information.
"What I would ask is that you pray for the community, you pray for the families. These families lost their children. So just continue to pray for them and keep them in your prayers tonight, tomorrow, the rest of the week as they go through this," said Sheriff Gentry.
- Two children dead, mother in custody, per Cullman County Sheriff's Office
- Cullman County Sheriff: Armed suspect caught, children safe
- Cullman County sheriff: Mother faces charges in murders of 2 boys, ages 3 and 9
- 2 adults, 2 children killed in Cullman County crash
- Community comes together to help family of Cullman County children found dead
- 2 killed in Cullman County car crash
- Arab man killed in Cullman County crash
- 18-wheeler wreck blocks I-65 in Cullman County
- Massive fire destroys Cullman County church
- Judge rules Cullman County bail system discriminatory