Drug dogs were used at two Madison County Middle schools this week.
WAAY 31 learned Deputies used dogs to search Meridianville Middle School on Tuesday and Sparkman Middle School on Monday.
The spokesperson for Madison County Schools told us no drugs were found at either middle school this week.
One parent told us she's happy the school is taking extra precautions to make sure her children are safe.
"It makes you realize they're paying attention and they're trying to prevent things from happening," said Donna Hereford.
Hereford told WAAY 31 she was nervous when she saw a call coming from her 7th grader's school on Monday.
In a phone message from the school's Principal she learned nothing was wrong at the Sparkman Middle School.
"Basically there was a drug sniffing dog that went through there and he wanted the parents to know so that we were aware of it," she said.
School officials told us Madison County Schools and the Sheriff's office are working closely to make sure students are safe, and that includes random searches at middle and high schools in the district.
The Sheriff's office told us the drug dog went into classrooms and checked lockers at both schools during each search.
No drugs were found during these searches, but the spokesperson for the district told us if drugs were located deputies would immediately notify the school's administration and then appropriate actions would be taken.
Hereford says it's a relief to find out no drugs were found at her son's school.
"That's very reassuring because you don't want to think of middleschoolers doing drugs," she said.
The school system told WAAY 31 parents can expect random drug searches at middle and high schools through the end of the school year.
- Madison County Schools searched by drug dogs
- School improvements coming to Madison County Schools
- New traffic pattern for Madison County School
- Madison County Schools accepting principal applications
- Madison County Tiger walk
- National Children’s Advocacy Center searching for Madison County superheroes
- Police searching for robbery suspect in Madison
- Madison authorities searching for card cloning scammer
- Madison County Sheriff's Office conducts early morning drug operation
- Madison County authorities find marijuana, guns in two drug busts