A Tuscumbia school resource officer has been removed from the district after a weapon was found Tuesday in a bathroom.
Tuscumbia Mayor Kerry Underwood says the officer was a part-time employee. Around 11:30 a.m. at G.W. Trenholm Primary School, officials say the officer's backup weapon was found by an adult inside a faculty bathroom that students do not have access to.
The school says students were not in danger during the incident, and the weapon was removed from the campus.
Tuscumbia police were notified and responded to the school.
WAAY 31 is working to gather more information and will provide updates on air and online.
- Tuscumbia school resource officer removed after weapon found in bathroom
- School resource officers now in Tuscumbia City Schools
- Bathroom doors removed at Florence school to fight teen vaping
- Bales of marijuana found in Tuscumbia warehouse
- Tuscumbia police investigating after woman found dead
- Franklin County adds first school resource officer
- Huntsville School Resource Officers host summer camp
- Sheffield hires two new school resource officers
- Tuscumbia escaped inmate recaptured
- Decatur school officials want more school resource officers