President Donald Trump has tweeted his congratulations to Democrat Doug Jones for his U.S. Senate victory over Republican Roy Moore.
The Republican President eventually endorsed Moore a short time before the election, but he never came to Alabama to campaign for the nominee. Trump initially supported outgoing Senator Luther Strange in the Republican primary, but he lost to Moore.
Trump publicly attacked Jones before his endorsement of Moore, calling him weak on crime among other criticisms.
The President says his party has a good chance to regain the seat when Jones' term ends in 2021.
The special election occurred as Trump appointed then-Senator Jeff Sessions to become Attorney General.
- President Trump congratulates Democrat Doug Jones on US Senate win
- Democratic US Senate candidate Doug Jones holds rally in Huntsville
- Democrat Doug Jones targets black voters
- Doug Jones officially becomes Senator tomorrow
- Senator Doug Jones speaks with local farmers
- Sen. Doug Jones' Maiden Speech
- Senator Doug Jones says he will vote to convict President Trump on articles of impeachment
- Watch Doug Jones' speech following his US Senate victory
- Senator Doug Jones will be in Huntsville this Friday
- Senator Doug Jones calls for action regarding missed V.A. benefits