UPDATE: The Limestone County coroner identified the pedestrian as 49-year-old Brian Wade Boyett from Hazel Green.
A pedestrian was killed in Decatur early Friday after being hit by a vehicle.
"It was like 'Oh my God! Did I just see what I thought I saw?'" Tracy Lang said.
Lang was returning home from work early Friday morning when she saw a body in the middle of the highway.
"There was a black truck kind of in the middle of the road with its headlights on with a body lying in the middle of the road in a fetal position," Lang recalled.
The Decatur Police Department, Decatur Fire & Rescue and First Response EMS responded to the area of Hwy. 31, south of Hospitality Park, about 12:25 a.m. Friday on a call of a wreck where a vehicle struck a pedestrian.
A black GMC Sierra was traveling southbound on Hwy. 31 when it struck a pedestrian who was standing in the inside southbound lane of Hwy. 31, said Emme Long, police spokesperson.
"It is shocking because at night time this section of the road is pitch black. Why they would be in the middle of the road is beyond me!" Lang said.
The pedestrian, whose name is not being released pending notification of next of kin, was pronounced dead at the scene.
No charges have been filed against the driver. The investigation is ongoing.
Lang says her thoughts are now with the family.
"My heart just goes out to them. I don't know what the situation of that man was. I just pray for them," Lang said.
She now hopes people learn from the incident.
"Guys, don't walk in the middle of the street at night!" Lang said.
This is the fourth pedestrian who has been hit in Decatur in the last two weeks.
- Limestone County Coroner: Hazel Green man hit and killed by a truck in Decatur
- UPDATE: Hazel Green man killed in motorcycle, truck crash
- Hazel Green man killed in wreck
- Hazel Green man killed in Monday crash
- Hazel Green teen killed in car crash
- Hazel Green High principal resigns
- Fire destroys Hazel Green home
- Hazel Green house fire reported
- Limestone County Coroner: Driver dies after car hits ice, tree
- Garbage truck fire in Hazel Green won't change regular routes