Everyday activities in a drought can quickly go sideways.
It happened in Guntersville when a lumber truck barreled off the side of the road and sparked fires. Fortunately, it happened right outside the Guntersville Fire Department.
"When I looked out the door, you could see the fire on the flower bed, the fire on the side of the road," said Fire Marshal Buddy Pettry.
It was a fire Guntersville firefighters didn't even have to turn on their sirens for.
"We had a water hose right there close and we actually extinguished the fire with a water hose," said Pettry.
Fire Marshal Buddy Pettry says Monday's fire right outside the fire station could have been much worse.
"Something as simple as hot parts from a vehicle can start a fire," said Pettry.
He says it should serve as a great example of why you need to be thinking about the drought during everyday activities. The Alabama Forestry Commission has placed the entire state under a fire alert. That means they'll only issue burn permits on a case-by-case basis.
Pettry says although not mandated by law, the Guntersville Fire Department is asking everyone to take the warning a step further.
"We're asking the public to not even burn recreationally right now. Just keep the ignition sources to a minimum," said Pettry.
In Guntersville, the city has been keeping an eye on the conditions. They actually stopped giving out burn permits a week before the state fire alert, because of how dry it is here. If you are caught in Guntersville, you can face a $500 fine and up to a year in jail.
- Truck crashes in front of Guntersville Fire Department, starts grass fires
- Guntersville woman charged with stealing truck
- Truck explodes at Guntersville gas station
- Road work starts today in Guntersville
- Grass Stains get gold
- Marshall County high school student surprised with dream job at Guntersville Fire Department
- Partial road closure in Athens after small grass fire
- Woman saves 7 service dogs from grass fire
- Rogersville Volunteer Fire Department tackles massive fire
- Truck catches fire in Huntsville