UPDATE: A tree on Lentzville Road and Elk Estates fell on power lines, cutting power to about 15 homes on Wednesday, according to Athens Utilities.
"Looks at least a hundred years old, because it's got a pretty wide girth," said Kevin Barnes, who lives on Lentzville Road.
The tree fell at the end of his driveway. During the storm, he was sitting in his living room.
"It was raining so hard and I heard a boom, thinking us having a tin roof, something might have fell on the roof," said Barnes.
Nothing fell on his roof. It was the sound of the massive tree falling.
Cleanup crews said the biggest challenge was dealing with the power lines caught in the limbs. They couldn't start cleaning it up until they were sure there was no electricity flowing through them.
Barnes is sad to see the tree go.
"It's unfortunate, you know, because it had privacy with the leaves and the limbs and now it appears most of our privacy is going to be gone," said Barnes.
At around 8 p.m., the cleanup crews told WAAY 31 it would take maybe an hour or two to get the tree out of the road. Once that happens, Athens Utilities expects they will be able to get power back on to the 15 homes within an hour.
- There is a tree across the roadway on Sewell Road in the area of Edgewood Road
- There is a tree in the roadway at Highway 99 and Lydia Corey
- There is a large tree branch in the roadway on Nick Davis east of Lindsay Lane
- Large tree in the road at Lentzville Road and Elk Estates
- Tree in the road at Hightower Road and Kelly Road
There are reports of trees down on Edgewood Road, Lindsey Lane, Highway 99 and Sewell Road in Limestone County following Wednesday's severe weather, according to Daphne Ellison with the Limestone County Emergency Management Agency.
WAAY 31 has a reporter on the way to the area and will provide updates.
- Severe weather caused trees to fall onto multiple Limestone County roads
- Several roads flooded in Limestone County
- Large tree falls, blocks Bankhead Road for several hours
- Roads reopen in Limestone County
- Several roads closed in Limestone County due to flooding
- Rain could cause major road closure in Limestone County
- Downed tree, weather impacted Limestone County school buses Thursday morning
- Limestone County district 4 shed damaged by severe weather
- UPDATE: Weather causes issues for Limestone County Schools, Ice no longer over road near school
- Severe Thunderstorm Warning issued for Limestone County