WASHINGTON (AP) -- The White House is confirming one fatality and one serious injury after a chartered train carrying Republican lawmakers to a retreat in West Virginia hit a garbage truck.
Lawmaker on the train to the GOP retreat passes on this picture of the garbage truck that their train hit: pic.twitter.com/sYUmmdH60Q
— Frank Thorp V (@frankthorp) January 31, 2018
White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders says there are no serious injuries among members of Congress or congressional staff.
Sanders says President Donald Trump has been fully briefed on the matter and is receiving regular updates.
I just wanted to send a quick note to let everyone know Caroline and I are fine. We were on the train headed to a Republican planning conference when the train collided with a truck. I’m told one person in the truck has died. Our prayers to that person’s family & any others hurt.
— Rep. Robert Aderholt (@Robert_Aderholt) January 31, 2018
The train carrying the lawmakers hit a garbage truck south of Charlottesville, Virginia.
Lawmakers are heading to their annual legislative retreat at the Greenbrier resort in White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia.
The train carrying GOP members to our retreat had a collision, but Rebecca and I are both okay. Security and doctors on board are helping secure the scene and treat injuries.
— Rep. Bradley Byrne (@RepByrne) January 31, 2018
- Train carrying GOP lawmakers involved in accident
- Train carrying coal derails in Jackson County
- Will Ferrell involved in car accident
- GOP lawmakers release memo critical of FBI
- Huntsville Police officer involved in early morning accident
- One dead in accident involving motorcycle in Huntsville
- Florence police now carrying Narcan
- Bus carrying West Madison Elementary students involved in wreck on trip from Montgomery
- Florida lawmakers pass bill that would allow school staff to carry guns
- Lions carry momentum to No. 20 Monmouth