12:50 p.m. update:
Huntsville police have identified the man killed on Explorer Boulevard on Thursday morning.
Police say David H. Gentry, 55, of Taft, Tenn., was struck by a 30-year-old woman driving a 2016 Jeep Cherokee.
The incident occurred at Explorer Boulevard and Mark C. Smith Drive about 6:15 a.m. Thursday.
According to police, the drive was westbound in the left lane of Explorer Boulevard. Gentry had parked his 18-wheeler in the roadway in front of the Dynetics construction site and was outside of his vehicle preparing to unload sod from his truck.
Police said the driver told them she looked down, causing her to drift in to the lane where Gentry was standing. She struck Gentry and the rear of his trailer, causing unsurvivable injuries.
The case is still under investigation.
10:45 a.m. update: Lt. Michael Johnson, Huntsville police spokesman, said the driver of the SUV that hit the pedestrian is a woman in her 30s.
He said the woman's vehicle hit both the pedestrian and his truck.
Johnson said the department’s “Traffic Homicide Unit needs time to review all evidence, some of which will be digital information …” before making any decisions on filing charges against the SUV driver.
9:50 a.m. update: The scene is clear and traffic is now moving in both directions.
A pedestrian was struck and killed by a vehicle in an incident on Explorer Boulevard near Enterprise Way in Huntsville Thursday morning.
The pedestrian, a worker at a local business who was outside his company vehicle, was hit by a private vehicle. The driver of that vehicle, a SUV, does not appear to have been injured.
Charges have not been filed, but the investigation is ongoing, police said.
Police have identified the person who was killed but have not yet notified his family. Police also have not released the name of the company he works for.
The westbound lane is blocked, and drivers are urged to stay out of the area if possible. One eastbound lane remains open.
Check back with WAAY 31 on air and online for updates.
- Update:Police identify victim in fatal Huntsville wreck
- Huntsville police identify homicide victim
- UPDATE: Huntsville police identify victim in overnight murder
- Huntsville Police identify victims in double homicide
- Huntsville police identify victim in Sunday homicide
- Victim identified in deadly DeKalb County wreck
- Victim in deadly Limestone County wreck identified
- Huntsville police identify pedestrian killed in Whitesburg Drive wreck
- Victims identified in fatal Limestone County shooting
- UPDATE: Man killed in Decatur wreck identified