Keel Mountain Road and Blowing Cave Road are shut down until further notice due to cracks and shifting.
That leaves drivers only one way to access the mountain on Keel Hollow Road.
Workers set up concrete barricades on Keel Mountain Road Tuesday afternoon preventing drivers from going up the mountain on this popular route. The problem area of the road is about 200 feet long and about 10 feet deep, and an engineer on the project said the rain is making cracks worse.
"When that water gets in that crack, it makes it crack even faster ... it could lead to an impassible road," said Jeremy Jess, geo-technical engineer.
Madison County Commissioner Craig Hill said the project comes with a half-million dollar price tag, and the cost to fix Blowing Cave Road is unknown.
Since both emergency closures come after the flooding, Hill is working to get emergency funds from the state. He said Keel Mountain Road could be closed until May 1, and they are working to reopen Blowing Cave Road by the end of this week.
One driver said on Tuesday, she had to reschedule her appointments because of the emergency closure. Virginia Johnson said she's a hospice nurse, and she has patients that live up Keel Mountain.
"I've tried two different roads to get there, and I can't make it today," said Johnson. "It took me about 20 or 25 minutes out of the way, and I thought for sure I could get up this road."
Johnson said she had to reschedule her clients until Wednesday, because she spent too much time trying to get up the mountain.
- Keel Mountain, Blowing Cave roads closed after being judged unsafe
- Mudslide closes Blowing Cave Road in Madison County
- Keel Mountain Road detour causing problems for homeowners
- Keel Mountain Road repair work moving ahead more quickly
- Keel Mountain Road in Madison County reopened after repairs completed
- Blowing Cave Road in Madison County reopened to the public
- Stop the rock, some on Keel Mountain don't want quarry
- Madison County Sheriff's Office looking for Keel Mountain burglar
- Keel Mountain Volunteer Fire Department buys new CPR training devices
- Keel Mountain Road parents getting gas cards, bus changes for inconvenience