Part of Whitesburg Drive in Huntsville is shut down after a car crash brings down several power lines in Huntsville Wednesday morning.
It happened at Bob Wallace and Whitesburg Drive. Police say a van hit a Jeep before hitting a power pole-- and then hit a second car before stopping before hitting a building.
Huntsville Police said the road will likely be shut down most of the day as they work to get this cleaned up. I'm going to take a step behind the camera and show you exactly what's going on. One woman who heard the crash and went to help the people in the van told us what happened.
"We heard a big boom," said Abbygale Ard.
Abbygale Ard was working at Krystal when that boom caught her attention. She told me when they hear a sound like that they usually see a small fender bender but Ard said this time that wasn't the case.
"We saw the telephone pole down. We saw the tire in the road and then we looked across the street from us and there was a car right there and smoke. All you seen was just smoke piling out."
And in that instant Ard knew there was only one thing to do. So she, her co-workers, and the workers at Dollar General ran across the street to help pull out a woman trapped in a vehicle.
"By the time we got her out she was in pain. She was crying. You could tell she was upset. She was scared."
Huntsville police said a woman and man in the van were taken to Huntsville Hospital with minor injuries. Police believe the man may have had a medical emergency causing the crash.
And Ard said she's proud of how the community came together to help.
"You could see a lot of love from the community just at that point in time. I've never seen that many people stop. Like you had people pull in every direction to stop and go help."
Huntsville Police said they're not aware of anyone losing power because of the crash but people and businesses in the area may have power cut later as a new light pole is installed.
Huntsville police say Whitesburg Drive will be closed temporarily between Marsheutz and Bob Wallace Avenue until a downed utility pole can be removed.
Officials say the roadway likely will be closed most of the day.
A new utility pole and lines will have to be re-installed.
Police say two people received minor injuries and were taken to the hospital after one car hit another, then hit a utility pole, and then hit a parked car.
Police believe the crash was caused by a medical condition.
Avoid the area if possible. Be careful if you cannot.
- Traffic alert: Downed power pole closes portion of Whitesburg Drive
- Huntsville police close portions of Whitesburg Drive following wreck
- Traffic alert: Accident closes portion of Sparkman Drive
- Traffic alert: Accident causes delays at California, Whitesburg
- Traffic Alert: Portion of Gallatin Street to close Wednesday night
- Traffic alert: Wreck closes portion of South Green Mountain Road
- Traffic alert: Portion of Brownsboro Road closed for wreck
- Traffic alert: Portion of Pulaski Pike closed for repair work
- Tree and power line knocked down at Whitesburg Drive, Garland Avenue in Huntsville
- Car crash knocks down a power pole