The top 10 names for the new Madison baseball team have been announced, and there’s no shortage of creativity for the names! All the names were submitted by people who live in the community through a Name the Team contest.
Take a look at the names your friends and neighbors came up with:
-Army Ants: Sound off! The Army’s Redstone Arsenal serves as a center for missile and national defense programs and employs more than 40,000 members of our community.
-Comet Jockeys: “Rocket City” was put on the map for its cutting-edge aerospace development. Comet Jockeys is a celebration of our brave astronauts who explore outer space.
-GloWorms: Glow Worms are rare tiny bioluminescent creatures that call the caves at Dismals Canyon in North Alabama home, one of few places in North America.
-Lunartics: We are home to some of the wildest mad scientists facing today’s challenges in space and technology. You’d have to be a “Lunartic” to do that.
-Moon Possums: A scavenger at heart, these local critters are known for hanging around and having a good time with their family just like going to ballgame.
-Puffy Head Bird Legs: No joke! It’s lingo coined by our astronauts for body fluid moving from feet to head in outer space due to the lack of gravity.
-Space Chimps: A tribute to Miss Baker, one of the first animals safely launched into space. She is buried on the grounds at the U.S. Space & Rocket Center.
-Space Sloths: A nod to NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center, the Space Sloths is up there with classic Minor League Baseball names like IronPigs, Flying Squirre ls, Chihuahuas and Jumbo Shrimp.
-ThunderSharks: Mix the powerful thunder of North Alabama’s storms with the ultra-strong, sleek determination of the shark and you end up with the personality of our community: willing to attack any problem. Visiting teams won’t mess with ThunderSharks.
-Trash Pandas: Our community is known for engineering, and no creature in our galaxy is as smart, creative, determined and ingenious a problem solver –dedicated to the challenge at hand –as our local raccoons!
You can now vote for your favorite team name here.
You have from July 26th to August 16th to vote for your favorite. From there BallCorps LLC will narrow it down to the top 5 team names, where you will once again have the chance to vote for your favorite. The official team name will be unveiled publically on September 5th.
The new Madison team will start playing in the Tennessee Valley for the 2020 season in their new stadium in Town Madison.
- Top 10 names released for new Madison baseball team
- Madison baseball team name vote raises concerns
- Fans make pitches to name Madison's baseball team
- New baseball team in Madison might not have 'Madison' in team name
- Madison baseball team CEO reveals one name stands above the rest
- City of Madison releases rendering of new baseball stadium, agreement with team owner
- Possible upcoming changes in the Madison baseball team contract
- Baseball President responds to concerns about team name
- Rocket City Trash Pandas: Name of baseball team announced
- WAAY 31 I-TEAM: Madison mayor says he can’t legally release cost of stadium naming deal with Toyota