A neighborhood in Toney is still dealing with flooding concerns after years of asking the county for something to be done.
A homeowner in the Whitt Haven subdivision told WAAY 31 on Monday he's frustrated there's been no improvement, and worried about rain moving in the Tennessee Valley.
"You might not think of two or three inches being really that bad, but it's really bad here. If it doesn't have a little stoppage of rain over time, then it will absolutely pile up the water and it will be like a raging river," said Michael Elmore who lives in the neighborhood.
He told WAAY 31 his family is living a nightmare when it rains. They bought their home in Toney less than 2 years ago, but quickly learned the flooding problem in the Whitt Haven subdivision is nothing new.
"I found out this started all the way back to 2011 with the April tornadoes, and they knew about it then and here we are seven or eight years later in the same situation.
The water left behind almost around $40,000 worth of damage to their garage, crawl space and air conditioning unit.
"It's a nightmare and without some of my church and my family helping me I would have never been able to get that taken care of," he said.
Elmore told us his family purchased flood insurance, and they're still waiting for their county commissioner to figure out how to fix the problem.
"Can we get the ditch to where the water doesn't stand up here? Can we get someone to cut the grass? Because I'm losing ground. I'm down to just several feet before it gets to my wall," he said.
In the meantime, the Elmore family is preparing for the rain by moving everything off the ground in their garage and hoping they don't have as much damage this time.
- Toney neighbors worry about flooding as Alberto makes landfall
- Overnight fire destroys Toney home
- Residents not worried about area flood warnings
- Michael expected to make landfall as powerful category 4 hurricane
- Hurricane Michael makes landfall in Florida Panhandle with 155-mph winds
- Two charged with murder of Toney teenager
- Toney road reopens after afternoon wreck
- Suspect caught after search in Toney
- Home a total loss, 4 displaced after Toney house fire
- Toney man killed in Decatur hit-and-run