NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - The Tennessee Titans have hired Houston defensive coordinator Mike Vrabel as their new coach in a fast search that wrapped up after three interviews and just five days after firing Mike Mularkey.
The Titans announced Saturday they have agreed to terms with Vrabel. A news conference is scheduled for Monday.
Vrabel was the first person Tennessee interviewed after firing Mularkey on Monday. Mularkey went 21-22 and led the franchise to its first playoff victory in 14 years.
Tennessee also interviewed Carolina defensive coordinator Steve Wilks - who satisfied the Rooney rule requiring teams to interview at least one minority candidate - and Los Angeles Rams offensive coordinator Matt LaFleur.
Titans owner Amy Adams Strunk says in a statement it was easy to see Vrabel's commanding presence and relationship with general manager Jon Robinson.
(Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
1/20/2018 5:23:31 PM (GMT -6:00)
- Titans hire Mike Vrabel as new coach after quick search
- Florence hires new football coach
- Titans ex-coach will now be an analyst
- Florida hires Dan Mullen as Head Coach
- Alabama A&M hires new men's basketball coach
- Auburn hires new offensive line coach
- Virginia football coach memorialized in 'Remember the Titans' dies at age 94
- Arkansas hires SMU's Chad Morris as new football coach
- Pisgah hires Jeremy Pruitt's brother as next football coach
- Bob Jones hires new volleyball, girls basketball coaches