There is only five days left for people to apply for the Huntsville City Schools Sperintendent position and only three people have applied so far.
Parents at the board of education meeting Tuesday wanted to see the superintendent search end quickly, because there is less than two weeks left before school starts.
"It's something that needs to be taken care of right now before kids get into school," said Parent Rosalyn Glover.
Glover has four children in the district.
She didn't like Dr. Matt Akin leaving the district with years still left on his contract.
"That's just like a parent saying 'hey, I agree to being a parent. I had this child. This is my child, but I'm tired of it after the first year, so let me walk away. Let me see if someone else is going to come and do it, because I don't want to do it anymore.' You can't just do that. Once you're committed to something you have to see it through," said Glover.
The President of the board said the Interim Superintendent is not one of the three applicants, but she still has time if she chooses to apply.
Once the window closes, President of the board of education, Elisa Ferrell, would like to see the board move quickly and potentially have a new superintendent in place by the end of August.
"If we want to bring in all the applicants in for interviews, or if we want to make an offer to just one applicant," said Ferrell.
According to Ferrell, the next superintendent needs to move the district towards getting out from under the consent order from the Federal Government, among other important qualities.
"I personally will be looking for a candidate that will be able to decrease the achievement gap and take care of our discipline issues," said Ferrell.
Glover agrees with having a superintendent with those traits, but she also wants to see the next superintendent treat the district, and its families, like they were their own.
"Say like if it happens to you, or your family, you would say 'hey, let me handle this in the same way I would it if it was something that was going on at home with me and my family."
Ferrell said the board may decide to extend a one year probationary contract to the new superintendent pick, because of the upcoming election, which might mean an entirely new board of education could be elected.
- Only three people apply for Huntsville superintendent job
- Huntsville School's Superintendent offered Gulf Shores superintendent job
- Huntsville City Schools Superintendent finalist for Gulf Shores job
- Huntsville City Schools Superintendent Resigns
- Superintendent Akin leaving Huntsville City Schools
- Interim Superintendent named for Huntsville City Schools
- Superintendent's contract includes no penalties if he accepts new job
- Limestone County Schools superintendent considering new job in TN
- Huntsville superintendent responds to claims 2nd grader injured teacher
- Will superintendent's possible departure impact teacher pay increase in Huntsville