The non profit organization Miracle League of North Alabama is trying to replace a nearly $2,000 sound system after a thief stole theirs out from under their noses.
The Miracle League is a place where people with special needs can come together and play baseball.
Somebody in the community was nice enough to lend them a sound system they can use for the time being, but they're still dealing with the fact somebody would steal from a league that allows special needs children and adults to play a game they love.
Russ Zachry is a player in the league.
He told WAAY 31 getting his name called before each at bat is one of his favorite parts of playing.
"It feels like I am in the big leagues," said Russ.
If it weren't for the loaned sound system that joy wouldn't be possible.
When Miracle League President Doug Schulte opened up the press box for the first night of games this spring he immediately noticed the missing sound system.
He still can't imagine why someone would want to steal from the league.
"They're not taking that system from us. They're not taking it from the city. They're not taking it from me. They're taking it away from two hundred and sixty eight miracle league players that live by hearing their name announced over the PA system," said Schulte.
Huntsville Police told WAAY 31 they don't have any suspects right now and they said it might be difficult to find the person responsible, because the theft could have happened any time between February and now.
Schulte is trying remain as positive as possible through this situation.
"I was thankful that they left the baseballs; that they left the stuff we need to play the game. If we wouldn't have been able to play the game that would have been worse," said Schulte.
That positive attitude flows into every player on the field, which is a feeling Russ wants to continue to experience.
"I hope I'll be able to play for a very long time," said Russ.
A parent of a player in the league set up a fundraising page, so the league can replace their stolen sound system.
- Thief steals from sports league for special needs kids and adults
- Suspected underwear thief arrested for stealing woman's panties
- Huntsville event aims to help special needs children, adults, families
- Miracle league hits all bases for those with special needs
- 2018's top Halloween costumes for kids, adults and pets
- Kids, adults alike enjoy Cook Museum's opening day in Decatur
- Thief leaves phone behind after stealing from home in Limestone Co.
- Autistic kids get special visit from Santa
- Couple arrested in Madison County accused of stealing kids' identities
- Decatur police searching for credit card thief