WAAY 31 learned the repair bill estimate for Decatur's Riverwalk Marina is more than $500,000.
The damage happened when a series of storms swept through almost two weeks ago.
The owner of The Marina Steve Conner said 25 boats are damaged on the dock. Repairing the dock would take 6-7 months from the time a new one is ordered.
"It's the first time that anything like that has happened in 23 years with us, so it's one of those things you just don't expect," said Steve Conner
Conner said The Marina became part of Decatur's history in the 1960's. He and crews are working hard to get it back the way people remember it.
"Right now, what we're trying to do is...The 'B' dock was blown over into 'A' dock and it's about 80 feet. We've got to pull the poles up and re-set it before we can do anything on this dock," Conner said.
A crew from Knoxville Tennessee are helping. One boat already started to sink, but is now steady.
"The water is coming up pretty fast. TVA has notified us that it's going to come up another foot, which puts us in a little bit of a bind but we're hoping everything will float like it's supposed to," Conner said.
Once 'B' dock is separated from 'A' dock, crews will take down 'A' block in pieces, so it doesn't collapse on the boats already damaged.
"We have 4 boats that last week have moved to other marinas. These boats will have to move off of this dock when we start to destroy it," Conner said.
It'll take up to 10 weeks for the new dock to be built in a plant, then it'll be shipped to The Marina. The gas house that powers the fuel pumps should also be repaired in a couple of weeks. It's a project Conner said is going as fast as it can.
"Everybody's been cooperative, the city has been great. Everyone is working together to get it done," Conner said.
Steve conner said The Marina was re-designed in 1995, which is the year when he first owned it.
- The repair bill estimate for riverwalk marina is more than $500,000
- Demolition underway at Riverwalk Marina in Decatur
- Strong winds damaged 15 boats at Riverwalk Marina in Decatur
- Forklift falls into Killen marina
- 'Medicare for all' bill estimated in the trillions
- Limestone County to spend nearly $500,000 to repair road near Mazda-Toyota plant
- Little Mountain Marina Damaged by Storms
- Marina renovation project could have major impact
- $500,000 in stolen merchandise seized from DeKalb County home
- Huntsville Hospital awards $500,000 in grants to community non-profits