ALICE, Texas (AP) - Police in South Texas say they've arrested a man in the fatal 1974 shooting of a police officer following a traffic stop.
Police in Alice, about 45 miles west of Corpus Christi, announced Monday that a man currently serving a life sentence in Alabama is charged in the death of officer Matthew Murphy.
Authorities say Murphy was a narcotics officer who had returned to patrol duty at the time of the traffic stop. He was shot multiple times and died later at a hospital.
Investigators say the suspect, identified by the Alabama Department of Corrections as 70-year-old Robert Lopez, at one point bragged to a fellow inmate that he had shot a "narc" named Murphy.
Lopez is serving a life term after being sentenced in 1981 on a robbery conviction.
(Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
11/13/2017 12:56:57 PM (GMT -6:00)
- Texas police arrest Alabama inmate in 1974 death of officer
- Death of Alabama inmate ruled suicide
- Alabama inmate fatally stabbed
- Inmate escapes Alabama work release
- Lawyers say Alabama death row inmate mentally incompetent
- Inmate who killed an Alabama officer seeks stay of execution
- Former Alabama officer arrested on Georgia charge
- Police Arrested Suspect Who Injured Police Officer
- New execution date required for Alabama inmate
- Police Search for Escaped Inmate