SUTHERLAND SPRINGS, Texas (AP) - Members of the small church where a gunman killed more than two dozen people are holding a worship service Sunday for the first time since the attack and hundreds of people are expected in the tiny town of Sutherland Springs to pray with them.
When organizers realized about 500 people were planning to attend, the service was moved outside to a baseball park from a community center that could only accommodate a few dozen people.
The church Pastor, Frank Pomeroy, spoke at the service. His 14-year-old daughter was one of the 26 victims killed in the mass shooting.
Pomeroy and his wife were out of town last Sunday when their daughter was killed.
"And I guarantee without any shadow of a doubt they are dancing with Jesus today. God gets the glory," said Pomeroy.
The church opened it's doors and invited members of the public inside for the first time since the mass shooting. The sanctuary was emptied and transformed into a memorial, which is now white from the floor to the ceiling.
Inside the church also sits 25 red roses on 25 white chairs, representing those who were killed. One of the victims was an unborn child.
"I want everyone that walks in there to know that the people who died lived for their Lord and savior, and would want them to live as well," Pomeroy said in Sunday's service.
The service next Sunday will be held in the sanctuary where the attack was carried out. Sunday school classes are expected to resume, according to a former associate pastor who made the announcement at the end of the service.
- Texas church holds first worship service since deadly shooting
- Warrior Creek holds worship service outside of destroyed church building
- Church service and funeral held for Texas school shooting victims
- FBI holds training for Huntsville worship leaders
- WAAY 31 I-Team Investigation: Worshipers defending churches
- Deadly shooting at El Paso, Texas Wal-Mart
- Albertville church still holds service despite Thursday night fire
- Tennessee Valley Church goers react to Texas shooting
- Suspect shoots 2 at Texas church before parishioners fatally shoot him
- Decatur police investigating deadly shooting