Emotions ran high at Thursday's North Courtland's special town council meeting -- swirling with allegations against the mayor.
Mayor Riley Evans was supposed to tell the council why he placed city clerk Tabitha Bailey on suspension in December.
"I don't think there was a fair recognition of the issues, in my opinion, that have been brought to my attention as it relates to the clerk's removal," said Carla Morton, Bailey's attorney.
She said she's very shocked and disappointed that the issues in the agenda were not addressed, and she felt nothing was resolved.
"The meeting should have been about whether or not the clerk's removal was justified," Morton said.
The reason why Bailey was suspended is still a mystery, and that information was only given to her. That reasoning wasn't released formally to the public, the city council or the media.
We do know that the mayor appointed someone else to Bailey's position, but according to Morton, that's something that should've been done with council approval.
Morton says she believes the action was in retaliation to Bailey rejecting Evans' advances.
Bailey said the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission is also looking into the incidents as well, as Bailey also was suspended in July and then reinstated.
Now there is a standstill, as the mayor and council couldn't seem to work together at Thursday night's meeting.
When they tried calling an executive session to discuss legal issues, several council members and Bailey's attorney erupted into an argument.
Council members voted to close out the specially called meeting until they could come together to a peaceful agreement.
- Tensions high at North Courtland town hall as mayor faces scandal
- North Courtland fire department left without firefighters
- Police: carbon monoxide likely killed 2 North Courtland men
- Makeshift homes could be outlawed in North Courtland
- Courtland wants high speed internet to bring in businesses
- Courtland home invasion led to deadly shooting
- Huntsville VA Clinic holds town hall
- Scandal-tinged Auburn faces Charleston in Midwest Region
- Doug Jones solo at Huntsville town hall Tuesday
- Doug Jones speaks to hundreds at Huntsville town hall meeting