Photo Gallery 1 Images
A 16-year-old boy is being charged as an adult in a meth trafficking case in DeKalb County.
DeKalb County Narcotics and Interdiction Unit agents and the Mentone Police Department report they saw a vehicle commit multiple traffic infractions on Wednesday. They attempted a stop, but the vehicle fled and caused a 5-minute pursuit, said Tyler Pruett, DeKalb County Sheriff’s Office spokesperson.
Police say the tag on the car was handwritten. When they turned on the lights, they say someone in the car threw out a loaded handgun, right near a school. Within minutes, police say the driver crashed into a nearby field.
Pruett said two suspects – Lanson Smith, 16, of Cloudland, GA; and Megan Palmer, 18, of Summerville, GA – in the vehicle were detained.
He said a search of the area lead to a large amount of methamphetamine that was thrown from the vehicle, as well as the Smith & Wesson 9mm handgun. A meth pipe was found with Smith, Pruett said.
Palmer, the driver, was charged with attempting to elude, possession of a controlled substance, and reckless endangerment.
Smith was charged with trafficking in methamphetamine, possession of a firearm without a permit, tampering with physical evidence, and possession of drug paraphernalia.
Both were transported to the DeKalb County Detention Center. Smith will be charged as an adult due to it being a Class A felony, Pruett said.
- Teen being charged as adult meth trafficker after DeKalb County bust
- 2 charged in DeKalb County meth busts
- Marshall County man charged with meth trafficking
- Morgan County man charged with meth trafficking
- 2 women arrested after DeKalb County car chase, meth bust
- Guntersville woman charged with meth trafficking
- Albertville man charged with trafficking meth
- Decatur police charge man with meth trafficking
- DeKalb County Community reacts to drug bust
- Hartselle bust uncovers heroin, meth