A team is at Redstone Arsenal this week to survey its potential as a base to host the headquarters for United States Space Command.
According to Redstone Garrison Commander Kelsey Smith, the team is conducting a non-biased assessment of infrastructure and the feasibility of the Arsenal hosting the base.
Other sites being considered are: Buckley Air Force Base, Colorado; Cheyenne Mountain Air Force Station, Colorado; Peterson AFB, Colorado; Schriever AFB, Colorado; and Vandenberg AFB, California.
When announcing Redstone and the others as candidates, the Air Force said a selection could be made this summer.
On Thursday, the Armed Services Committee in the U.S. House of Representatives voted in favor of establishing a United States Space Corps that would be part of the Department of the Air Force.
The Trump administration has said it wants the new military unit to be called Space Force.
Waldemar Ramirez served in the Army for 11 years and believes Redstone Arsenal should be the headquarters of the United States Space Command.
"Well I hope they like this place and they find that we are prepared for the mission," Ramirez said.
Now, the real test begins as the survey team is walking the Army post, analyzing its ability to hold the future base. Ramirez thinks the choice is clear, saying the Arsenal has all the tools needed.
"The civilian personnel and also the military people and facilities that they have here," Ramirez said.
WAAY 31 is told Thursday is not the first day the survey team has been on the Army post.
- Team now in Huntsville surveying Redstone Arsenal’s ability to host U.S. Space Command
- Space Force team coming to Huntsville to survey Redstone Arsenal
- Redstone Arsenal, Huntsville in the running to host U.S. Space Command
- Flooding impacts Redstone Arsenal
- AMCOM receives new Commanding General at Redstone Arsenal
- Redstone Arsenal leasing land to Space and Rocket Center
- Huntsville students celebrate Earth Day on Redstone Arsenal
- New Garrison Commander takes over command at Redstone
- AMRDEC at Redstone Arsenal gets new director
- Redstone Arsenal quiet on government shutdown impacts