Decatur native Tanner Burns has racked up the honors since completing his freshman season for the Auburn Tigers, and he earned another highly coveted accolade on Wednesday morning.
Baseball America named Burns and fellow Auburn freshman Edouard Julien and Steven Williams Freshman All-Americans. Burns and Julien were named to the first team, while Williams garnered second team honors. The three honorees from the Plains marks the most of any team in the country. For Julien, it's also the fifth Freshman All-America team he's been named to, while Burns and Williams have earned those honors from four different publications.
Burns started the season in the weekend rotation and finished his freshman year with a 7-4 record and a team-best 3.01 ERA, the sixth best in the Southeastern Conference. He also ranked second on the team in strikeouts, with 77, the most by an Auburn freshman since the 1998 season. The Decatur High School grad seemed to really settle in down the stretch, going 3-0 with a 2.16 ERA and pitching six or more innings in each of his final four starts of the year.
Julien did all the talking with his bat, turning in one of the best freshman seasons from the plate in program history. He led the team in home runs (17) and RBI (69), breaking former Auburn great and National Baseball Hall of Famer Frank Thomas' freshman program record. He didn't stop there though, the Canadian crusher also led the SEC and all freshman nationally in RBI.
Williams wasn't as slouch at the plate either, he racked up 12 homes and 51 RBI, tied for second and third on the team in each of those respective categories. His 12 homers are also the fourth most in program history by a freshman with his 51 RBI ranking sixth most by a freshman in program history.
- Tanner Burns one of three Auburn Freshman All-Americans
- Decatur native Tanner Burns to start Auburn's NCAA Tournament opener
- Four Tanner students burned after possible fireworks-related accident
- Tanner High School principal fired
- Meet Tanner High's new principal
- Auburn wins!
- SEC All-Freshman Team announced
- Tanner Elementary students involved in minor wreck
- Redline Steel opens new facility in Tanner
- Burns, Greenhill headline young local talent at Auburn