Sheriff Gene Mitchell has confirmed to WAAY 31 that Chief of Staff Tim McWhorter is no longer an employee at the Lawrence County Sheriff's office, effective Friday morning.
Sheriff Mitchell said that the decision to let McWhorter go was no based solely upon his arrest in Decatur on Thursday night, but rather culmunation of the internal investigation and the domestic violence charges against him.
"We felt it was best to let [McWhorter] go his way and the sheriff department go its way," Sheriff Mitchell said.
The suspended chief of staff for Lawrence County Sheriff Gene Mitchell was arrested Thursday on a charge of domestic violence-harassment, according to Morgan County jail records.
Timothy McWhorter, 38, was no longer listed in the jail's database of current inmates Friday morning.
A Decatur Police Department spokesperson said McWhorter was arrested around 9 p.m. Thursday and was booked on a $500 bond.
McWhorter sent an email Friday afternoon -- at the same time Decatur police released a short news release on his arrest -- and said he had done nothing wrong.
"I vehemently proclaim my innocence in this matter, as well as any other claims that have been made against me," the email stated. "I do not know what the driving force is behind these allegations."
McWhorter was suspended from his job with pay Jan. 26 while an investigation was conducted into possible mishandling of evidence. McWhorter said he requested the investigation from Mitchell in order to clear his name from "third party allegations of wrongdoing."
A month before his suspension, a woman McWhorter was dating filed a domestic violence report against him, claiming he showed up at her home intoxicated, grabbed her by the arm and threw her against a kitchen counter. Charges were not filed in connection with that report.
- Lawrence County Sheriff's chief of staff suspended
- Suspended chief of staff for Lawrence Co. sheriff no longer employee there
- Domestic-violence allegations against suspended Lawrence County Sheriff's captain
- Lawrence County Sheriff's Office Chief of Staff refutes allegations of wrongdoing
- Lawrence Co. Sheriff's former chief of staff back out of jail on bond
- Lawrence County elects new sheriff
- Suspended Fayetteville fire chief retires
- Fayetteville's fire chief suspended, according to report
- Lawrence Co. Sheriff, Captain charged with "Official Misconduct"
- Limestone Co. Schools suspends 2 employees without pay