Decatur murder suspect in custody, witness says ‘he walked away with no remorse’

Shadeed Abdul Fuqua is now in the Morgan County Jail after being on the run for the murder of Jarmaine Jones.

Posted: Nov 22, 2019 6:49 PM

Shadeed Abdul Fuqua, the suspect in a deadly Decatur apartment shooting, turned himself in Friday for shooting and killing Jarmaine Jones. 

Police say Fuqua walked up to Jones, shot him and drove off.

There are still bullet holes and a blood mark on the home. He was killed in front of his own apartment on the bottom level around 4:30 pm on Thursday evening at the Decatur Place Apartments.

One woman who lived next door to Jones said he had no pulse when she first came outside after hearing gunshots. She made the decision to give unconcious Jones CPR. After several rounds, he finally had a pulse.

When paramedics arrived he still had a pulse, but he later died from his injuries at the Decatur Morgan Hospital.

"He was staggering and he fell onto the ground. I was the first one there so," says Joy Patterson.

Patterson says she did what she would want anyone to do.

"When I first walked outside, I saw the shooter leaving and I saw Jarmaine on the ground. I could tell he was bleeding and in bad shape so I jumped into action," she explains.

Patterson said Jones was shot in his neck and stomach.

"I held the towel up against as many wounds as I could to help stop the bleeding while I was giving CPR," she adds.

The Morgan County Sheriff's Office Fuqua, 29, surrendered to deputies at the county jail about 3:10 p.m. Friday. The Decatur Police Department was notified, and he was taken into custody.

Bond was set at $150,000.

"It was chilling and shocking to see somebody non-chalantly walk away after what they just did. I mean he unloaded a whole clip on him," says Patterson.

WAAY 31 obtained Fuqua’s court records that show this is not his first time in trouble. Before friday’s arrest, he was out on bond for reckless endangerment and attempting to elude police less than a month ago. Before that, he was released in may after serving time on domestic violence and drug charges.

Patterson told WAAY 31 what Fuqua did after Thursday’s shooting.

"He walked away with no remorse," she says.

Friends of Jones tell us the murder could have stemmed from a fight about money. They also tell say Jones will be remembered as someone who could put a smile on anyones face and had a sweet soul.

67° wxIcon
Hi: 86° Lo: 68°
Feels Like: 67°
72° wxIcon
Hi: 88° Lo: 69°
Feels Like: 72°
69° wxIcon
Hi: 84° Lo: 68°
Feels Like: 69°
68° wxIcon
Hi: 87° Lo: 68°
Feels Like: 68°
63° wxIcon
Hi: 86° Lo: 67°
Feels Like: 63°
WAAY Radar
WAAY Temperatures


Community Events