A Mae Jemison High School student is recovering in Huntsville Hospital's intensive care unit after a fight at school.
Family members said Steven Franklin, 15, had a cracked skull and internal bleeding. He was admitted Monday, after the fight happened at school, according to his mother.
Zachary Finey, Franklin's mentor in Big Brothers Big Sisters of North Alabama, said he and Franklin's mother have tried -- and failed -- to get answers from the school system. But they said students all tell them the same thing: A campus security guard tried to stop the fight and slammed Franklin into the concrete outside of the school.
"It's a dangerous situation for kids to be going there, if this is going to continue to be an ongoing occurrence that happens," Finey said.
Franklin landed on his head and had a seizure, his mother said. He was taken to Huntsville Hospital and had emergency surgery for a cracked skull and interior bleeding.
WAAY 31 reached out to Huntsville City Schools and received a statement that said the guard was a contracted employee.
"We have learned of an incident involving a contracted campus security officer's response to an altercation at Jemison High School," the statement read. "That contracted campus security officer is not on campus, and will not return for the rest of this school year. We are actively investigating the details of this incident."
The last day of school for students is Thursday.
Finey said he wants to make sure something like Monday's incident doesn't happen again.
"There needs to be some change to help the kids feel secure at the high school," he said.
Huntsville police said they also are investigating the incident.
- Student hospitalized after fight at Jemison High
- Jemison student hospitalized after fight sues campus security officer
- Jemison High School student hospitalized after car wreck
- Students arrested for Jemison High fight that sent 6 to hospital
- Jemison High evacuated after bomb threat
- No charges filed against Jemison High teacher
- Pink Game helping a Jemison coach's daughter fight cancer
- Family, friends, more mourning death of Jemison High teacher
- Jemison High School announces partnership with Auburn University
- Jemison High School security guard acquitted of assault charge