Crews responded to a house fire at Cross Key Road in Athens Thursday afternoon.
The Limestone County Sheriff's Office said a man was in the back bedroom of the building when the fire started in the kitchen. The man's family members said he was asleep when a smoke alarm alerted him of the fire. He was taken to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
The cause of the house fire on Cross Key Road in Athens is narrowed down to two possible causes. The Piney Chapel Fire Department told WAAY 31 it could have been either lightning, or an accident in the kitchen, that caused the devastating fire.
The family of the man taken to the hospital was too emotional to speak on camera, because the house represents thirty years of family memories that all went up in flames. While they're devastated to lose the home their mother built, they're thankful their family member is okay.
The Piney Chapel Fire Department said officials will be back in the morning to continue their investigation into what exactly caused the fire.
- Man taken to hospital after house fire at Cross Key Road in Athens
- Body found after house fire in Athens
- Shooting in affluent Athens community sends man to hospital
- Partial road closure in Athens after small grass fire
- Crews respond to structure fire at Elkton Road in Athens
- Athens City closes road for construction
- Athens neighbors react to flooded road
- Athens man gets year in jail for road rage incident
- Athens man killed in crash
- WATCH: Athens firefighters revive unresponsive dog trapped in house fire