Some homes and businesses in Limestone County are still without power. Athens Utilities last told WAAY 31 crews have restored power to all but 3 customers. Late Sunday night, thousands of customers were without power.
Last night's strong winds knocked several trees and large limbs on the power lines. Home owners on Briarwood Road said this isn't what they were expecting.
"We didn't hear a whole lot. I could hear those winds and trees over there," Ronnie Poole.
Ronnie Poole and his wife knew it would rain on Sunday, but he didn't think it'd get windy enough for trees to hit power lines.
"We at least had the flashlights where we could get to them and candles and that kind of thing," Poole said.
He said since they had no lights, they just went to sleep. Athens Utilities officials report that 6,700 customers were without power from the Sunday night and Monday morning storm. The homes were scattered throughout the county. Having working electricity is something Poole said could easily be taken for granted.
"Every time we went in the room, we flipped the switch on out of habit. Nothing happens. We dealt with it and it was fine," Poole said.
Poole is noticing a pattern of bad weather. He's thankful this time Limestone County didn't get hit as hard as the month of March
"We've been lucky, where we are. Nothing has really happened until this. It's minor compared to what people have been through," Poole said.
Neighbors told WAAY 31 with the weather not predictable when it rains, they're going to stay prepared moving forward.
- Strong winds leave 6,700 Athens utilities customers without power
- Why Athens Utilities customers could see higher power bills
- Huntsville Utilities warns customers of scam calls
- Huntsville Utilities warning customers about disconnection threats
- Decatur Utilities warns customers about scammers
- Utility companies asked customers to limit power usage in frigid temperatures
- Huntsville Utilities responding to power outage affecting more than 1,300 customers
- Huntsville Utilities says power restored to large portion of customers after massive outage
- UPDATE: Huntsville Utilities restores power to Meridianville
- Huntsville Utilities reporting multiple power outages