A huge and powerful storm system winding up over Colorado and Kansas Wednesday afternoon will be the biggest player in our weather through the end of the week. It will bring wind, rain, a risk for severe thunderstorms, and some weekend chill to the Tennessee Valley.
The wind was already evident across the area Wednesday. Gusts to 25-30 mph have been recorded throughout the afternoon. Winds of 15-25 mph with gusts to over 30 mph will remain possible through tonight and Thursday.
Rain is next. It will start increasing between 2 AM and 6 AM early Thursday morning. Areas of rain be around during the day Thursday. The rain may break up, which would allow the atmosphere to warm and energize before a stronger line of storms arrives Thursday evening. If the rain breaks up, that line of storms will have potential to be severe. Damaging winds will be the biggest threat, but an isolated, brief tornado cannot be ruled out. If the day is more rainy and warming is limited, the severe weather risk could get shut down before it starts. It's always best to plan for the worst case scenario so you aren't caught off guard.
Updated Timing For Severe Thunderstorm Risk
The timing may vary, but new data Wednesday evening shows the arrival of the severe weather threat 1-3 PM west of I-65, 3-5 PM along I-65 and I-565, including Huntsville, Madison, Athens, Decatur, and Fayetteville, and 5-7 PM in Sand Mountain. The severe weather threat will end by 10 PM.
Wind will ease on Friday, and some colder air will arrive in the Tennessee Valley behind the exiting storm system. Friday's highs will not be any warmer than upper 50s. The weekend will be colder with highs in the lower 50s and lows in the low-to-mid 30s. Slow warming on Monday and Tuesday will lead to the next chance for rain next Wednesday.
- Timing trending earlier for severe thunderstorm risk Thursday
- Showers Monday, strong to severe thunderstorms Thursday
- Severe thunderstorm threat arrives Thursday evening
- Severe thunderstorms possible Saturday
- Showers and thunderstorms Thursday
- Severe thunderstorms possible this evening
- Isolated severe thunderstorms possible Sunday
- Thunderstorms possible Thursday but unlikely severe for the Valley
- Warm Wednesday, strong to severe thunderstorms possible Thursday
- Warm Wednesday, thunderstorms arrive Thursday