UPDATE: The risk for severe weather is quickly diminishing across the area. Heavy rain will track eastward out of Sand Mountain before 2 PM and its wake, you can expect only scattered showers with an isolated rumble of thunder. Colder air sweeps in tonight and Friday will be substnatially cooler as a result.
A tornado warning has been issued for Jackson and DeKalb counties. A tornado has been confirmed in Franklin County.
A power line and tree were down at Cox Road and County Road 65 in the Shoals. The scene has been cleared now. A man who lives nearby says he lost power for a few hours and said the fire department was there cleaning it up. The road was blocked.
Strong storms tracked toward the Tennessee Valley overnight. The arrival time in the Shoals was near 6 AM, pushing eastward and reaching the I-65 corridor between 8 and 9 AM. Sand Mountain saw rain by 10 AM. We are still monitoring the risk for damaging wind and heavy rain over a short period of time. These storms already have a history of producing damaging wind to our southwest, and they will be capable of doing the same in the Valley.
The National Weather Service is out in the Shoals surveying storm damage.
Wind: Gusting between 55 and 65 mph, with breezy conditions persisting once the storms pass
Rain: A quick 1 to 2 inches will be possible, creating low visibility and hazardous road conditions
Tornadoes: A brief, isolated tornado cannot be ruled out with the stronger storms
Once the rain tapers significantly with the passage of the morning storms, the afternoon will still hold scattered showers and the occasional rumble of thunder. Temperatures remain mild today before the cold front comes through this evening. Expect highs in the upper 60s, dropping to the upper 40s through the overnight hours. Friday will be much cooler, with mostly cloudy skies and highs only in the mid 50s.
- Strong storms tracking through the Tennessee Valley Thursday
- Rain on track to arrive Thursday in the Tennessee Valley
- Tennessee Valley storm pictures and video
- Storm shelters in the Tennessee Valley
- Quiet Wednesday, strong storms possible Thursday
- Strong to severe storms possible Thursday
- Strong to severe storms before sunrise Thursday
- Strong winds left damage after Thursday's storms
- Strong storms Tuesday evening
- Thursday Afternoon Storms, Then Strong Storms Possible Friday